Monday, August 29, 2011

Wake up.......

“I love you too, Aish!”

“I love you, Sid!”

It’s heavily raining in Mumbai since the last 2-3 days. These rains reminded me the climax of the movie ‘Wake up Sid’. Fortunately, my cable operators also made me happy by showcasing the movie some days ago.

I don’t know why the movie is so special to me. Maybe, the fact that it was the first movie I watched with my best friends, shelling out Rs. 280 for the ticket. Or maybe, because the story-line, the characters, just struck the cord of my heart.

Sid! The lazy, ignorant and rich guy, with a tender heart! The opening shot where he’s preparing for his last exam always manages to make me grin. His frantic efforts to keep himself awake through the night all goes in vain as our Sid sleeps in his childish shorts and even childish socks! Eventually, he fails! The way he bargains with his father, CEO of ‘Flower Showers’, to spend a month in his office for a Lamborghini, is hilarious. He lands up in office in T-shirt and jeans and sleeps through his work hours. Confined to a chair with a group of people who are not ‘him’, he runs away later escaping the bathroom furnishers! But later, his destiny makes him leave his mansion to join Aisha in her one room sea-facing apartment.

Aisha! The talented, ambitious and determined girl, with big dreams! She comes to Mumbai (I corrected myself, RT) in search of a job, a home and even more important, Independence. Her goals are clear. Writer. Her interview for her dream job also turns out to be from her dream man. The way she manages to blurt out to him about his ‘hotness’ always makes me chuckle. Her love for independence and simplicity is undaunted.

Sid moves in with Aisha, celebrates her birthday with bread and jam with a match-stick in place of a candle. Sid turns her clean swanky room into a messy place, but experiences euphoria when he finds his egg under edible standards. His credit cards are cut, but his foe saves him by paying for his bill. His foe’s character represents one thing that money and influence can get someone to a high, but only hard work can get you to the top. Slowly and steadily the sleepy Sid understands his responsibilities; need to do something in life. He discovers his passion for photography. He joins Aisha in her firm as an intern.

Sid starts to grow. Or rather Sid re-invents himself. Sid starts working, experiencing the little aspects and moreover, living life newly! Unknowingly it’s Aisha who makes him realize all this. And Aisha starts to find her joy in the little childish things with Sid. Sid was exactly the opposite of her Mr. Right, but still he manages to reach her heart by unknowingly doing everything that makes her smile.

Sid gets his pay-check. The highlight of the movie is the scene with his father. The manner in which he convinces his father that he has found something to do in his life satiates you emotionally. And Sid returns home for both Sid and Aisha to realize that they are in love. Sid looks handsome in Aisha’s kurta. Sid posts Aisha’s photograph as his work and Aisha writes about Sid in her article. And like every Bollywood movie, they meet at Marine Drives, totally wet and confess their love.

Like I said, I don’t have a particular reason to love this movie. But I love Sid and even more I love Aisha. I feel every one of us have a little bit of Sid and Aisha within us. We all have our dreams like Aisha and we all go through a transition to make our lives like Sid. All of us fall in love. And when I say love, I don’t only mean the special him or her (or both nowadays). I mean every little thing, every little aspect in your life now; our parents, our friends, our neighbors, our colleagues, everyone. All of us learn to love our lives irrespective of whatever it has, whoever it has and wherever it is going! Wake up to that….

3 comments:

  1. haha...lagta phd ki h tune iss movie pe....
    t nyc thinking...gud1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie too. Sid reminds me of my friend who is as quirky and yet so warm-hearted as Sid. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey.. thanks a lot!!!
    @chai... mei toh sirf muvies pe hi Phd kar sakti hun.... :P
    @hetal... Sid reminds me of my friend too.. thanks 4 liking..!

    ReplyDelete